The Research Travel Grants are one of three scholarship categories offered by the CSHL Center for Humanities & History of Modern Biology. These fellowships of up to $1000 are intended to defray the cost of visiting the collections in the CSHL Library and Archives. Please see descriptions of the CSHL collections at the Archives homepage and consult detailed finding aids on CSHL ArchivesSpace.
About the Award
The Research Travel Grants are intended to encourage and support use of the CSHL collections. They award up to $1,000 (USD) to each recipient for reimbursement of direct costs associated with doing research in residence at CSHL. While here, grant recipients will have support from our team of archivists, librarians, and historians. If space permits, they will be eligible to rent on-campus accommodation during their stay.
Who is Eligible?
The fellowship is open to scholars (at any career stage), journalists, writers, filmmakers, and creative artists with promising projects that would illuminate material in the CSHL collections.
Applications may be submitted at any time. They will be considered on an ongoing basis.
How to Apply
The application package must include the following:
- A completed application form.
- A research proposal (see below for detailed instructions).
- A brief budget statement showing the expenses for which support is requested.
- A curriculum vitae. Please include education and employment history, dates of study, areas of study, previous publications, and previous or current fellowships, grants, and awards.
About the Research Proposal
In a maximum of 1000 words, the proposal should explain your research question or objective, the types of sources you intend to use, and the significance of the proposed research to your scholarly trajectory and to your discipline or field. The proposal must identify specific items or record groups you would use at the CSHL Library and Archives.
Please submit your proposal in double-spaced 12-point font.
We seek original, ambitious proposals that demonstrate the likely relevance of CSHL collections to the project. Potential applicants are encouraged to learn more about the collections by contacting CSHL archivists before applying.
At the conclusion of their visit, Research Travel Grant recipients will be asked to:
- provide CSHL with a report on the results of their research;
- acknowledge the grant in all publications which result from their research;
- notify CSHL of any publication or other creative expression resulting in whole or in part from the grant.